Real Girls, Real Problems
6 Alarming Girls Self Esteem Facts Parents Should Know
A recent study reveals some disheartening statistics about self esteem in girls, teens and young women all parents should know and understand.
Read these facts, take them in, process them, and then… take action and do something to build and strengthen the self-esteem of your precious girls. By investing your attention, you’ll help empower her and enable her to make better choices and live a happier more fulfilling life.
75% of girls with low self-esteem “reported engaging in negative and potentially harmful activities, such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking or drinking, when feeling badly about themselves”
(Real Girls, Real Pressure: A National Report on the State of Self-Esteem, June 2008)
2. 71% of high school girls are not happy with themselves
3. 98% of girls feel there's immense pressure from external sources to look a certain way.
4. Girls question their own beauty: between 50 and 70 % of girls of normal weight
believe they are overweight.
5. Children with low self-esteem are 1.6 times more likely to meet the criteria for drug
dependence than other children.
6. 1 in 4 girls today fall into a clinical diagnosis – depression, eating disorders, cutting, and other mental/emotional disorders. On top of these, many more report being constantly anxious, sleep deprived, and under significant pressure.(The Triple Bind, Steven Hinshaw)
From these shocking statistics about self esteem in girls, you can see that it is imperative to take daily action to help girls improve and strengthen their sense of self-esteem.
I hope you agree that building a healthy sense of self-esteem in girls is key to a happy life and to greater chances of a successful life as an adult.